RECREATION

 

The cities of Jackson and Wellston and the village of Oak Hill offer city swimming pools. The Margaret Ann Pool and Park in Oak Hill has depths of 2-11 feet, a kiddy pool, playground area, tennis courts, shelter house, and basketball court. The Wellston City Pool complex consists of an Olympic sized L-shaped facility, a large baby pool, and a volleyball area. The City of Jackson runs Hillcrest Pool and Park, which features an olympic sized pool with 2 diving boards, kiddy pool,playground area, skate park, basketball court and shelter house.

 

Splashdown Country Water Park is located on an 85-acre country setting when you can relax and unwind on the 850 foot lazy river, enjoy the slides or splash in the 14,000 square foot kiddie pool. Splashdown Country admission also includes free putt-putt golfon their 9-hole miniature golf course and fishing in the 5-acre stocked lake.

 

The City of Jackson offers several parks for enjoyment. Manpower Park on Main Street has a covered shelter house, playground, gazebo, public restrooms and a large grassy area. Eddie Jones Park on Harding Avenue is home to several baseball fields, tennis courts and a playground. Several ball fields are located on High Street.

 

Aetna Park is located in the center of Oak Hill next to the village municipal building. The caboose at the park reminds visitors of the importance that railroads played in the creation of the Oak Hill community. The one-room Comer schoolhouse (dating back to 1850) provides a glimpse of history to visitors and presents an example of the type of school that once educated students of the Oak Hill area. And finally, the memorial gazebo houses the Bi-centennial Bell presented to Jackson County. The gazebo’s surrounding walk consists of many bricks memorializing past residents of the Oak Hill area.


Central Memorial Park creates a relaxing, safe, central recreational area for residents of the Oak Hill area. Phase I of the Central Memorial Park Project involves the development of the existing site to support the construction of a 1/6-mile concrete walking path, basketball court, shelter house and parking area. Parimeter security fencing, playground equipment, park benches, trash receptacles, a bike rack and landscaping of the entire park will complete the initial phase. Following the completion of Phase I of the Central Memorial Park Project residents will have a single, safe, central location where they can picnic, take children of all ages to play, and have a walking path for adults to exercise while their children have fun. As mentioned before, a major goal is to provide a safe walking area for the Oak Hill senior citizens. Following the completion of Phase II of the project, which will involve the addition of a pavilion, restroom facilities and a second shelter house, residents of the Oak Hill area will have access to a park where they can host outdoor parties and family reunions.

 

The City of Wellston is home to many beautiful parks where children and adults gather to meet competitively or just have a relaxing good time. Wellston's largest park is Veteran's Memorial. Here, abandoned strip mines have been filled with water and the area beautified, so now Wellston residents freely enjoy a beatiful park with several baseball fields and a soccer field. Just north of Veteran's Memorial on Route 327 are the American Legion baseball fields, often used by the high school team and Wellston's Legion summer baseball team. A popular location for Little League games is Blamer Field in the southern part of town. Behind Blamer are two regularly maintained tennis courts free for the public to use. Organized basketball takes place in the gymnasiums of Wellston High School, Wellston Junior High, and Coalton Elementary. The city maintains two open public courts, on in the north end and one in the south end.

 

Pride Park is Wellston's centrally located place of recreation, sitting next to Railroad Avenue near the Ohio Avenue downtown area. The park contains a fountain, memorials and the recently refurnished train depot. Many outdoor community activities are held here, taking advantage of the depot and the park's gazebo.

 

Jackson County is home to two public golf courses, Franklin Valley Golf Club and Fairgreens Golf Club. The Franklin Valley Golf Club is a Par 71, 18 hole public golf course with memberships available. Franklin Valley was established in 1962 and features a new clubhouse with snack bar. Built in 1925, Fairgreens is a Par 72, 9 hole course open to both membership and public play. Fairgreens is a mature parkland course which features bent grass, watered fairways, fast running greens and lush tees. Swimming pool, tennis courts, function rooms, corporate entertainment/rates for golf and meetings, restaurant available in the 1920's Clubhouse.

 

The Wellston Bike Path begins near the intersections of Broadway and Railroad Avenue at Pride Park. In 1995, the path was laid out for walkers and bikers of the Wellston area community to enjoy the outdoors as well as get some exercise. In September 2003, a bridge was erected and the path was connected to Lake Alma's walking path, completing the Bike Path.

 

The Jackson Cavalier Roller Rink has been family owned and operated for over 50 years. We are a member of the Roller Skating Association International. They offer fun for the whole family. Enjoy great music, food, games and skating.

 

 

ENTERTAINMENT & SHOPPING

The Markay Cultural Arts Center is owned by the City of Jackson and leased to Southern Hills Arts Council which is responsible for renovation of the 1930 Art Deco movie house, maintenance and operation. To date, more than $1.2 million has been invested in the project. While the Auditorium is not complete, a Backstage at the Markay series mingles audience members with performers on the stage for intimate musical experiences. The Markay, located at 269 East Main Street in Jackso, hosts 9 visual arts exhibitions annually. Each opens with a Meet the Artist Reception at 7 p.m. The public is cordially invited to attend.


Regular Gallery hours are Wednesdays through Fridays from Noon to 5 p.m. and weekends from 1 to 3 p.m. The Markay is home to the D. M. Davis Male Voice Choir. A Writers’ Guild meets the 4th Monday of each month at 7 p.m. A variety of classes is offered.

 

Other Council offerings including the Foothills Art Festival each October at Canter’s Cave 4-H Camp, just west of Jackson, off U.S. Route 35. Visual arts, live music, and youth art activities are featured. Youth are invited to 3 weeks of free classes in Jackson, Oak Hill, and Wellston in July. A quarterly newsletter keeps readers up to date on arts activities at no charge.

 

The Tri-City Theater is located at 972 E. Main Street in Jackson, offering free summer movies, gift certificates and birthday parties.

 

At Weber Farms, located at 914 Weber Road outside of Jackson, you can find a pumpkin patch, corn maze, safe trick or treating, hayrides, school tours and all other fall and Halloween fun.

 

Visit the Richard Brothers Fruit Farm 15 miles west of Jackson in Thurman, Ohio for fresh apples and peaches in season. The first commercial apple orchards were established in Jackson County in the late nineteenth century, although legend has it that Johnny Appleseed planted the first apple trees here around 1800. By 1930, there were approximately fifty orchards in ten of the county's twelve townships. Twenty years later, Jackson County ranked second in Ohio in apple production. The early 1950s were the high water mark of apple growing in Jackson County. In 1950, growers harvested more than 285,000 bushels from 70,200 trees. By 1959, 25,400 trees yielded 98,300 bushels, but the industry still employed approximately 500 people and was worth $1,000,000 annually. Apple cultivation began to decline in the mid-1960s in part because many families who operated commercial orchards left the business. At the start of the twenty-first century only one commercial apple orchard remained in Jackson County.

 

The Tea Caddy, located beside the Markay Cultural Arts Center on Main Street in Jackson, is a tea shop specializing in natural, organic, herbal, white, green, oolong and black loose leaf teas. Teaware,Silverware Jewelry,Pottery, Handmade Soaps, Candles and more available. The Tea Caddy is available for children's parties too.

 

Visit Henderson's Arena on Van Fossan Road in Jackson for a variety of horse showd and Barrell Racing. Henderson's Western Wear, located in front of the arena, offers a huge selection of western apparel and footwear.

 

Off the main highways, down a few backroads, and seemingly in the middle of nowhere, the Four Mile Bakery and General Store is a great secret nestled away in the woods of rural southern Ohio. Located at 6005 Four Mile Road, the bakery features some of the largest glazed doughnuts you've ever had in your life. The General Store features Amish pies, fresh-baked bread, meats and cheeses and serves pulled pork and chicken sandwiches. Call ahead as the store has limited hours 740-286-4950.

 

Downtown Jackson features sidewalks and period lighting along the two major streets in the downtown business district. The historic downtown area continues to house retail businesses that specialize in many areas, such as music, jewelry, flowers, prom and wedding attire, hair and nail services and everyday necessities like pharmaceutical needs, business products and dining.

 

The Jackson Square Shopping Center on Main Street in Jackson is anchored by a Kroger grocery store, Peebles Department Store and Big Lots. Visit Gul's Country Store, Tractor Supply and Sears of Jackson as you venture on Main Street toward Route 35. The newly renovatedJackson Wal-Mart Super Center draws visitors from surrounding counties as well as local shoppers. Across the road from WalMart is the Shoe Department, featuring shoes for the entire family and Caito, a women's clothing store.

HISTORICAL ATTRACTIONS

Buckeye Furnace is a reconstructed charcoal-fired iron blast furnace with original stack, typical of those operating in southeastern Ohio's Hanging Rock Iron Region more than a century ago. Visitors to this 270-acre site can see the furnace, originally built in 1852, which went out of blast for the last time in 1894. Attached to the furnace is the reconstructed casting shed. Above the furnace is the charging loft where iron ore, limestone, and charcoal were loaded into the furnace, and the engine house which contained a steam-powered compressor. The reconstructed company store serves as a visitor orientation area. There are two nature trails.

 

Leo Petroglyph is near the village of Leo, five miles northwest of Jackson, in Jackson County. Leo Petroglyph is an outstanding example of prehistoric Indian inscriptions. On the edge of a beautiful ravine, the sandstone petroglyph contains 37 incised drawings of humans, animals, and human and animal footprints. It is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. The carvings, whose meaning is unknown, are attributed to Fort Ancient Indians who occupied this area between AD 1000 and 1650. A trail leads through the gorge and along the unglaciated Mississippian sandstone cliffs that are 20 to 65 feet high. Wildflowers and birds are abundant during the warmer months.

 

The Welsh-American Heritage Museum is located in Oak Hill, Ohio in southern Jackson County. It is open by appointment. The objectives of the museum are to foster Welsh family ties throughout the world, to collect and preserve records, artifacts, books, photographs, etc. of Welsh families in a museum setting, to keep the Welsh culture and traditions alive in the area, and to preserve for all time the old Welsh Congregational Church building.

 

The Lillian Jones Museum is an historical and cultural museum which provides unique opportunities for residents and visitors alike. In addition to preserving the history of the area, the museum strives to implement new programs, exhibits and events of interest for the education and enjoyment of the community. The house was built in 1867 and it's furnishings reflect this time period. In addition to a fine collection of permanent items, the museum hosts various themed exhibits throughout the year. The Carriage House Genealogy Center is located in the building behind the museum and is staffed by volunteers.

 

The John Wesley Powell/Morgan's Raid Ohio Historical Marker is located by the Jackson County Courthouse on Main Street in Jackson.

 

The Trails/The Kanawha Trail Ohio Historical Marker is located at 181 E. Main Street in Jackson.